Check out my interview on Nutrigenomix
Check out my latest CTV interview
- Be happy!
- Eating more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains is an old story but with a new happy ending. You will lose weight, be healthier, sleep better, move better, digest better, have better breath, have more clothes choices, and…. live a life toward disease prevention.
- Eat breakfast. Eat lunch. Eat supper. Eat 3 meals per day. Try to plan meals yourself and not eat out so much. If you can avoid or reduce eating starch at supper time this will reduce your total plate calories.HINT: For added weight loss avoid starch at supper time. Load up on the vegetables instead!
- Each meal should be between 400 to 500 calories. Breakfast can be smaller at 300 calories
- Eat 2 to 3 snacks per day. Snacks should be no more than 150 calories.
- Eating every 3 – 4 hours is key to not getting over hungry; Make sure to have a good afternoon snack! 5 grams protein 1.5 – 2 hours before supper.
- If you can avoid the night time/bed time snack, that would be great!
- Keep a journal to count calories & nutrients. Go to www.myfitnesspal.com It is fun and easy!
- It is important to have protein at each meal; even breakfast where you should strive for at least 15g of protein.
- Eat your calories don’t drink your calories. Drink less special coffees/teas, fewer smoothies (except as meal replacements), juice, alcohol, sugared beverages, sugared milk, etc.
- Exercise for 150 minutes per week; try walking, skating, biking, mall walking, etc… just move more!
- Water is the best source of hydration. Drink up!
- Journaling brings success. Write it down before you eat it!
Don’t be a fork in the road!
Helene Charlebois, Registered Dietitian & Nutritionist
Bilingual Nutrition Coach, Presenter, Writer & Media Spokesperson.
Helene Charlebois, BSc, RD
(Registered Dietitian / Nutritionist)
fully bilingual written & spoken
Helene is a Registered Dietitian Nutrition Consultant specializing in healthy lifestyle coaching with particular interest in Weight & Obesity Management. A graduate of McGill University in 1988, she embarked on her nutrition career in Kingston as a nutrition consultant in private practice forming her company now known as HC Nutrition Consulting & Wellness.
Ottawa is now her home where she continues to consult as a nutrition expert to various food and pharmaceutical companies, health clinics, media outlets, government, executive health programs and worksite wellness initiatives.
From 2003 to fall 2009, her office was based out of the Ottawa Cardiovascular Centre where she counsels patients on a variety of health issues, such as weight & obesity management, diabetes, cholesterol, salt-fat-fiber, women’s health issues, etc… She has developed and launched the EMERALD Weight Management Program which specializes in obesity care with focus on Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) including diet, exercise and lifestyle restructuring. Her patients call her “their life coach”, helping them to become healthier.
She is involved with the Dietitians of Canada Board as the Regional Director representing the provinces of Quebec and eastern Ontario. She is the past President of the Consulting Dietitians of Canada as well as volunteers on various National nutrition projects.
Media is especially important to Helene as a vehicle for relaying nutrition information and the healthy life message. She is an official spokesperson for the Dietitians of Canada in the field of nutrition, dietetics, obesity and wellness. She has appeared on television, radio and newspapers as a nutrition expert &/or product information representative. She writes newsletters, webletters and resources for various food companies.
Her goal is to become a recognized health & lifestyle coach, not only for her patients but also to teach other Registered Dietitian & Healthcare Professionals on healthy weight management strategies & effective medical nutrition therapies.